Friday, October 2, 2009

Better Talk Now

Before I even start this...I must say that gelding are the best damn thing for the racing world. Not being tied to the breeding world, therefore the major money earners, they are on the track forever! Just to name a few, Funny Cide, Forego, John Henry, Phar Lap, Lava Man, Well Armed, and they new boy on the seen, Mine That Bird. Some great legends or legends in the making were just listed...most of which because they were left on the track to continue their legacy, which they tend to make after there colleagues have been retired for stud. The focus of this entry is another on of those greats, one that I have been watching for what seems like forever. Better Talk Now, the ten year-old gelding has been retired. Just before he was to run his last race, the old guy tore a ligament in a leg. After winning $4 million dollars in purse earning, he's going to retire to a life of being turned out into a paddock and munching grass. I still remember that 2004 Breeder's Cup Turf race where with a visible swish of the tail, Better Talk Now just went for it. Even after a few blunders and mishaps in the stretch, Better Talk Now went on to win in an impressive manner. It was such an exciting day, and I have enjoyed any other time he has set foot on the track, whether he won, placed, showed, or simply blew it, I was always pulling for him and glad to watch him run! Although I will miss him on the racing seen, I am glad that his injury is minor instead of a life threatening problem. I hope the boy enjoys his break as much as we enjoyed his racing!

Save public interest!

Power to the geldings!

No comments:

Post a Comment