Thursday, April 23, 2009

Winding Down With Whirlaway

For those readers who are not in my class I feel you should be informed that this is the last required week I "have" to write entries. Luckily for those who wish to continue reading, I plan and hope to continue this blog's upkeep. The entries will be a little more...spaced...than they would be back when I have a deadline, but they should pop up every now and then. Hopefully there is enough here to distract you while I am waiting for something to write. Although I cannont promise anything too exciting, I know I will get into those moods where I find and article or see a race that I can't help but comment on. I mean serisously...how could I possibly keep my thoughts about the Kentucky Derby to myself?! 8 DAYS 21 HOURS 30 MINUTES!

Back to what I should be talking about...I am again taking another look at Blood Horse's list of the top 100 horses in the 20th Century. This time around I decided on a horse I have heard countless times, but really don't know much if anything about. That is how I chose number 26: Whirlaway.

The one and nearly only thing that I know about Whirlaway is that he won the Triple Crown in 1941. That alone would earn a horse a spot on the 100 list (all of which eleven are on the list: 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 9th, 12th, 13th, 26th, 28th, 33rd, 49th, 61st).

With this massive accomplishment Whirlaway was given the title of 1941 Horse of the Year, which he one again in 1942. Whirlaway was in the money 93% of the time and won 32 of his 60 starts. Not a bad record to say the least.

Another amazing horse for an incredible era.

No comments:

Post a Comment